Thursday, May 21, 2009

All We Have to Fear Is...


Don't be afraid. It's just a blog about fear!

I was in an elevator the other day at work coming down from the 10th floor. All of a sudden, around the 7th floor, the elevator stopped and all the lights around the buttons went dark. I hit the alarm button. Nothing. Hit it again nothing. Then it started moving again, but still no lights. It went to the 1st floor and the doors opened. Phew! I can tell you had it been stuck a minute longer and I would have cried like a baby who dropped an ice cream cone (pistachio). I don't know about you, but just being stuck for a minute made my heart drop in my stomach and the feeling of panic and dizziness set in. My co-worker was stuck one time for about 20 mins. We tried to keep her calm by talking through the door. I don't know how she made it without losing it.
Anyway, it got me thinking about fears. Some of my other fears include: drowning, dying in a plane crash and being at a Lionel Richie concert. That fear is called dancingontheceilingaphobia.
There are a lot of strange fears as well. For example: Alektorophobia is the fear of chickens. Image a person with this fear accidentally walking into a KFC! Or how about dextrophobia, which is the fear of having objects at the right side of the body. Let's hope these folks are left-handed. A lot of men have this fear, gamophobia, or the fear of marriage. Which isn't as bad as eurotophobia, the fear of female genitalia or phallophobia- the fear of a penis. There is also Pupaphobia, the fear of puppets. No Sesame Street for you. I wonder if the alektorophobia person would be afraid of Big Bird...hmm...I wonder. And lastly, there is phobophobia or the fear of phobias. I couldn't make this stuff up!
I have other fears with no name yet. Like the fear of being locked in a room with Gilbert Gottfried, the fear of being licked by a llama or the fear of pouring orange juice on my cereal.
Franklin D. Roosevelt said, "All we have to fear, is fear itself." I would have liked to be stuck in an elevator with him!- Pis out.

2 comments:

  1. What about a Celine Dion fear (titanicophobia)? Or maybe it falls into the Lionel Ritchie category.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, she just needs to be deported. Problem solved.

    ReplyDelete