Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Problems We Create


I learned a lot about myself recently. I learn that I'm not ready for sushi. I learned that when you get older, you can hurt yourself practically doing nothing and I learned it is very easy to get sucked in to all this new technology. Everyone is tweeting, texting, facebooking and myspacing. I swore I wouldn't get sucked in, but I did. First the cell phone. My first cell phone was a pay-as-you-go cheap-as-you-can-get phone I bought at Target. The battery had to be charged like every hour. I remember sitting at a bar with friends and the conversation went something like this, Friend one: "Look at the photo I got" Friend two: "Check out my ringtone" Friend 3: "Look at the movie I shot." Then my turn comes, "Hey guys, check this out. Mine makes phone calls!" I finally stepped it up and got a real cell phone. One of them flip phones so I can feel like Captain Kirk when I order my Moo Goo Gai Pan and steamed dumplings. Soon I became what I swore I wouldn't...a cell phoney. So caught up in my phoney little world of texting, pix and flix. Now the thing is practically attached to my right hand just in case someone wants to send me a flix of grandma blowing out the birthday candles at 4 A.M.
Now, my phone is a has been. It's all about the iphone now. So we can google "the world's ugliest dog" while we are driving. No sweat...right, because the phone will tell you you have to make a left at the next intersection too, or tell you where to get the best pistachio ice cream ( I know a great place, by the way). I am not upgrading 'til a phone can do my laundry for me.
Then I got sucked into the My Space (oh, that's soooo '05...soooo I'm soooo '66), the first "be my friend" site. Why do I do these things? Now it's Facebook and Twitter. These sites weren't created to make friends...most of these people are friends already. They were made to KEEP AN EYE ON FRIENDS...ha! Now I know when you are online and whether you have a life or not. I'm sorry, but posting "I just got done washing windows" C'mon. I don't know what's worse...the person telling us that, or me taking the time to read it. As far as I'm concerned, everyone should make stuff up! "Yeah, just diffused a bomb" "Getting ready to skydive naked off the Statue of Liberty" "I just got done washing windows...on the Chrysler Building about 1,047 feet up" (yeah, I looked it up on my iphone while I was driving 80 on the freeway!)
Ah, the problems we create. And now, I'm blogging. And is anyone really paying attention? Who knows? Welcome to the Pistachio Chronicles folks where your guess is as good as mine.

3 comments:

  1. I love it!...And don't feel bad about the cell phone I still don't have one.but then again I don't go anywhere I'm always home lol... Keep on bloggin I would love to read what you have to say :) ... and here I thought u loved to know when I was picking my nose sheesh now I'll have to make stuff up lol ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your maiden voyage is a success. Can't wait to read more! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your phone makes calls?? Dag. My crackberry does everything BUT that. I miss the good old days.

    ReplyDelete